Military Gift Description
AS-19 USS Proteus Submarine Tenders Ship Military Insignia measures 5" and is new.
Originally a ship of the FULTON - class, the USS PROTEUS was commissioned as a diesel sub tender on January 31, 1944. From 1959-60, the PROTEUS was overhauled and reconfigured to service FBM submarines. During this overhaul her hull was sliced through, cutting the ship in half, and a forty-four-foot plug weighting 500 tons was added to the hull. This new section became the missile magazine.
Until 1964, the PROTEUS was assigned to SUBRON 14 at Holy Loch, Scotland, and to SUBRON 16 at Rota, Spain. From 1964 on, PROTEUS was assigned to SUBRON 15 at Apra Harbor, Guam.
Decommissioned on July 11, 1992, the PROTEUS was stricken from the Navy list in September 1992. Anyway, in 1994 the PROTEUS was re-instated as IX 518 serving as berthing ship for overhaul crews at Bremerton, Wash. This last assignment ended in 1999, when IX 518 was retired and stricken for the last time.
General Characteristics: Keel laid: September 15, 1941
Launched: November 12, 1942
Commissioned: January 31, 1944
Decommissioned: July 11, 1992
Builder: Moore Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Oakland, Calif.
Propulsion System: Diesel electric (12 diesel engines)
Length: 574.6 feet (175.1 meters)
Beam: 73 feet (22.3 meters)
Draft: 25.6 feet (7.8 meters)
Displacement: approx. 20,000 tons
Speed: 18 knots
Armament: four 20mm guns
Crew: approx. 1250